Your engagement ring is among of your most precious possessions, so of course you want to keep it clean. Here are some important tips.
Your diamond engagement ring is a portable reminder of your partner and the exciting times that lie ahead. For many, it also rapidly becomes an important identity symbol.
However, without careful attention, this treasured item of jewellery can quickly collect dirt and grime from everyday actions such as applying creams or going to the gym.
Here are some tips on how and when to clean your engagement ring to keep it as beautiful as it was on the day you said yes.
How should I clean my engagement ring?
Due to the preciousness of your engagement ring you might think you should spend money on professional cleaning every time.
Well, here’s some good news. Since high-quality diamonds are very robust stones, you’re more than safe to clean your engagement ring from the comfort of your own home.
Here’s a quick step-by-step guide to follow:
- Combine warm water and a touch of baby shampoo in a small bowl, and put your ring into it.
- Leave the ring to soak for at least 15 minutes. Here you will loosen any particles that have become lodged behind or around the stone.
- Rinse your ring under the tap, rotating it so all the baby shampoo is removed. Don’t forget to put the plug in in case you drop it!
- Dry the ring using a soft, lint-free cloth. Don’t be tempted with paper towels, they can scratch the metal on your ring.
Once you’ve completed these steps, your engagement ring should be back to its dazzling best, There are, however, a few household items that should be avoided in this process:
- Cleaning agents such as acetone, bleach and chlorine,
- Powdered products similar to toothpaste or baking soda – as with paper, these can scratch soft metals such as gold.
How often should I clean my engagement ring?
When you think of everything we do with our hands, it’s not surprising that engagement rings pick up a lot of dirt.
For the best results, a quick clean once a week will prevent the buildup of oils and other everyday contaminants. As mentioned above, diamonds are more than tough enough to cope with regular attention. However, if this seems excessive, many people feel that once or twice a month is sufficient.
You can also keep your ring brighter for longer by taking a few precautions:
- Limit its exposure to chemicals by removing it during showering or tasks such as washing the dishes.
- Try to prevent abrasions that can dull the surface. Again, taking your ring off for manual activities such as gardening is always advisable.
- If you won’t be wearing it for an extended period, put it safely away in soft jewellery case.
Going the extra mile
While all of this is possible in your own home, there’s nothing quite like the professional touch every once in a while.
As well as giving your ring a thorough clean, these professionals can provide a detailed inspection to check for loose stones or other setting problems.
Passion8 has a list of authorised retailers who can carry out these procedures and offer more advice on maintaining your diamond engagement ring to the highest standards. Get in touch with your local store today.